- 1 How many years did Phantom of the Opera run on Broadway?
- 2 Who is the longest running Phantom of the Opera?
- 3 What is the longest running musical of all time?
- 4 What is the number one screen to stage?
- 5 What is the most expensive Broadway musical ever made?
- 6 What is the best Broadway show of all time?
- 7 What is the longest running Off Broadway show?
- 8 What is the longest running jukebox musical in Broadway history?
- 9 What’s the longest running musical in the West End?
- 10 What is the longest running Broadway show what play did it topple and when?
- 11 What is the best Sondheim musical?
- 12 Is Les Mis the longest running musical?
- 13 Is cats the longest running musical?
How many years did Phantom of the Opera run on Broadway?
Celebrating 31 Years on Broadway – The Phantom of the Opera – Broadway.
Who is the longest running Phantom of the Opera?
The clue: “Of the more than 15 actors to play the lead in this musical, Howard McGillin holds the record with over 2,500 performances.” The returning champion, a librarian, was the only one who got it right, and she seemed very surprised that her guess of Phantom of the Opera was correct.
What is the longest running musical of all time?
The Fantasticks, 1960, m Harvey Schmidt, l Tom Jones (17,162) Longest-running musical in history.
What is the number one screen to stage?
1. West Side Story (1961)
What is the most expensive Broadway musical ever made?
Most Expensive Broadway Musicals
- Shrek- The Musical- $27.6 million:
- Lion King: $27.5 million:
- Beauty and the Beast: $17.4 million.
- Wicked- $16.9 million:
- The Little Mermaid: $16.6 million.
- Tarzan: $16 million.
- Dance of the Vampires: $15.2 million.
- The Phantom of the Opera: $14.2 million.
What is the best Broadway show of all time?
Top Ten Best Broadway Shows Ever Made
- Hamilton. The story of the man on the ten dollar bill has been Broadway’s number one smash hit since its release.
- The Producers.
- The Phantom of the Opera.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Les Miserables.
- West Side Story.
- Kinky Boots.
What is the longest running Off Broadway show?
The Fantasticks is a quintessential celebration of love in all its gorgeous simplicity and heartbreaking complexities. The Fantasticks originally opened at New York’s Sullivan Street Playhouse on May 3, 1960, and played 17,162 performances before closing January 13, 2002, making it the world’s longest-running musical.
What is the longest running jukebox musical in Broadway history?
As of 2020, the longest-running jukebox musical on Broadway to date is ‘ Mamma Mia! ‘, a production which features ABBA’s vast song catalog. Written by British playwright Catherine Johnson, the title of the musical was taken from the group’s 1975 chart-topping song with the same name.
What’s the longest running musical in the West End?
Les Misérables With some of the most recognisable songs in musical theatre, the classic story of Jean Valjean and revolutionary France is the longest-running musical in the history of the West End.
What is the longest running Broadway show what play did it topple and when?
After 7,486 chandelier crashes, gondola rides and dramatic endings, “The Phantom of Opera” officially became the longest-running show in Broadway history last night, knocking the musical “Cats” off its throne.
What is the best Sondheim musical?
A Definitive Ranking of Musicals by Stephen Sondheim, by Someone with a Degree in Theater and Too Much Time on His Hands
- Sunday in the Park with George.
- Sweeney Todd.
- Into the Woods.
- A Little Night Music.
- Pacific Overtures.
- Anyone Can Whistle.
Is Les Mis the longest running musical?
Les Misérables with over 14 thousand performances, and The Phantom of the Opera with nearly 13.9 thousand performances, are two of the longest running musicals in West End History since they began in the 1980s.
Is cats the longest running musical?
CATS, one of the longest-running shows in West End and Broadway history, received its world premiere at the New London Theatre in 1981 where it played for 21 record-breaking years and almost 9,000 performances. The ground-breaking production was the winner of the Olivier and Evening Standard Awards for Best Musical.