- 1 Why is it called the Globe Theatre?
- 2 Why is the Globe Theatre famous?
- 3 What was the purpose of the Globe Theatre?
- 4 How would you describe the Globe Theatre?
- 5 How much did it cost to watch a play at the Globe Theatre?
- 6 Is the globe Theatre still standing?
- 7 How was the Globe Theatre destroyed?
- 8 Where did the poor sit in the Globe Theatre?
- 9 How many times did the Globe Theatre burn down?
- 10 Who went to the Globe Theatre?
- 11 Who owned the Globe Theatre?
- 12 How many seats are in the globe Theatre?
- 13 What is interesting about the globe Theatre?
Why is it called the Globe Theatre?
Working together, the actors built the new theatre as quickly as they could. By May 1599, the new theatre was ready to be opened. Burbage named it the Globe after the figure of Hercules carrying the globe on his back – for in like manner the actors carried the Globe’s framework on their backs across the Thames.
Why is the Globe Theatre famous?
The Globe is known because of William Shakespeare’s (1564–1616) involvement in it. With other members of the troupe, he helped finance the building of the Globe (on the banks of the Thames River), which opened in 1599 as a summer playhouse.
What was the purpose of the Globe Theatre?
The Globe, which opened in 1599, became the playhouse where audiences first saw some of Shakespeare’s best-known plays. In 1613, it burned to the ground when the roof caught fire during a performance of Shakespeare’s Henry VIII. A new, second Globe was quickly built on the same site, opening in 1614.
How would you describe the Globe Theatre?
From these images we can describe the Globe as a hexagonal structure with an inner court about 55 feet across. It was three-stories high and had no roof. The open courtyard and three semicircular galleries could together hold more than 1,500 people.
How much did it cost to watch a play at the Globe Theatre?
The most expensive seats would have been in the ‘Lord’s Rooms’. Admission to the indoor theatres started at 6 pence. One penny was only the price of a loaf of bread.
Is the globe Theatre still standing?
Today. Today, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre stands around 230m (750ft) from the original Globe site. Because the theatre is circular, there is no roof over the centre of the structure, so plays are only staged during the summer.
How was the Globe Theatre destroyed?
On 29th June 1613, a theatrical cannon misfired during a performance of Henry VIII and set fire to the thatch of the Globe Theatre, engulfing the roof in flames. Within minutes, the wooden structure was also alight, and in under an hour the Globe was destroyed. Incredibly, only one casualty was recorded.
Where did the poor sit in the Globe Theatre?
The Globe theatre had a central area where there was no cover. This is where the poor people used to watch the plays. They were called the groundlings. They would stand in this area with no protection so when it rained and snowed they got very cold and wet.
How many times did the Globe Theatre burn down?
Globe Theatre Fact 16 The Globe Theatre burnt down in 1613 when a special effect on stage went wrong. A cannon used for a performance of Henry VIII set light to the thatched roof and the fire quickly spread, reportedly taking less than two hours to burn down completely.
Who went to the Globe Theatre?
The Elizabethan general public (the Commoners) referred to as groundlings would pay 1 penny to stand in the ‘Pit’ of the Globe Theater. The gentry would pay to sit in the galleries often using cushions for comfort! Rich nobles could watch the play from a chair set on the side of the Globe stage itself.
Who owned the Globe Theatre?
At the Globe Theatre there were three classes, the upper, middle, and lower class.
How many seats are in the globe Theatre?
A 1,570 capacity open-air theatre.
What is interesting about the globe Theatre?
Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Stands 400 Years and Only Yards Away From the Original. Completed in 1997, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is third Globe Theatre to have been built on the Southbank of the Thames. The original theatre was constructed in 1599, and was destroyed by fire in 1613.